Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ghana, the beautiful

I have made several friends lately who are connected to Ghana. A lot of those people, including me, are struggling right now and trying to make sense of everything that has happened in the past few months. If you go back in by old blogs from last year and read this, You will read about what I felt when I first stepped foot into the world of Lucky Hills. Little did I know, or all my other recent friends, that it was not so lucky after all. It was not what it seemed. It seems that all the yucky stuff we have learned is overpowering all the wonderful stuff that makes up Ghana. My friend asked for those who share this connection to Ghana to post a comment on her blog about what we love about that country. I decided to blog it on here instead, because I love do many things about that beautiful place.

1. I love the bright, over sized AKWABA sign on that tiny airport.
2. I love the pineapple! It is so sweet and juicy...even though its fruit is white and not yellow. Oh, I would go all the way back just for that!
3. I love how the oranges look like limes.
4. I like how a dress sold on the street is one size fits all.
5. I love how they have 6 different flavors of Fanta and they come in glass bottles with the perfect amount of carbonation.
6. I love how they want you to give back the bottle so you have to drink it in front of them, it gives you time to talk to them.
7. I love how they take so much pride in the fact that I am interested in something they do.
8. I love they they all laughed and cheered at eh bead market, when I bought a scarf and had the lady tie it in my hair the Ghanaian way.
9. I love how the children run out to me from anywhere just to feel my white, fuzzy arms.
10. I love how some of those termites mound where over 7 feet tall.
11. I love how the people would stare at us and as soon as I smiled they would flash their white grins and I felt like I had made a friend for life.
12. I loved how when I went to Bernices to get fitted for skirt, I asked her to make it a few inches smaller in the waist because I was still losing weight and she asked me why I would want to lose weight. Come on, what girl would not love that!
13. I love how those kids ran by the side of the car as we pulled into LH.
14. I love my video of all the kids singing the Ghana anthem as loud as they possible can. I am trying to get it posted on here. It is a treasure.
15. I love those two very special boys and what they taught me about love.
16. I love how I felt when those beautiful children sang I am a child of God to me as they kissed my hands and arms goodbye.
17. I love all those regal women carrying a baby on their back and a jug of water on their head.
18. I love the miles of miles of bumpy roads lined with villages.
19. I love that I was so welcomed at church.
20. I love my Relief Society Class and that the instructor asked if I had a "contribution" (in her thick accent) to make to the lesson.
21. I loved sitting in the temple with my Ghanaian brother and sisters and seeing the contrast of their beautiful dark faces with their white clothing.
22. I love the kindness that radiated from the people.
23. I love the way they are so willing to except the gospel and live its teachings.
24. I love the friends that I made through my experience there.
25.I love what Ghana taught me about how to be a better person.

I know there is still so much more that I could say but this is what first comes to my mind when I think of Ghana. I am proud of my connection. I love Ghana!

No comments:

Post a Comment