Tuesday, June 23, 2009

One day in Heaven ( April 16, 2009)


Alright. I know that a mother should say that the day I had each one of my kids was the best day of my life but lets be honest here. That hurt like H-E- double hockey sticks. So that pulls the rug out from letting it be the best day of my life. But imagine if you will a day were you get to fall head over heels in love with 60 kids (they way you are head over heels in love with your own) and ...tada..without pain. Yes, it was one of the best days of my life.
I wanted to go and spend sometime in an African orphanage. It was of the only things I knew I had to do if I went. After being there for a few days it was looking as if I was not going to be able to and that depressed me. The orphanage we thought we would go to had a new director and she did not like American volunteers or something so it was a no go. Finally Kathy ( a retired school teacher who's husband was serving as a lawyer for the church) called us. She had been using her spare time to help the orphanages, which doubled as schools, with their reading and writing. She was going out to on e tomorrow and we were welcomed to come if we wanted. I was so happy. The next morning Ryan woke up early with the African gombu -I think I ate some bad typhoid - issues. It was not looking good until I remember that I filled that expensive Travelers diarrhea medication. (Note to the wise...don’t skimp on these pills if you are going to Africa the work fast and the proof is solid...tee hee) So everything was looking rosy again and we left.
I was nervous for few things. First off, I tied my hair up in a scarf because, for those of you who do not know me...I am scared to death of lice. Scared to death, have nightmares, flip the light on at 2 in the morning, Ryan check my hair scared. Second, No diapers in Africa so if I am holding a kid who pees...you get the picture. Third, and most overwhelming, Am I going to be so overwhelmed with sadness that I can’t pull it together.
As we drove to the orphanage Kathy and I figured out hat her grand daughter Katherine H. was in the same kindergarten class as my Belle. Small world. She asked us which age group we wanted to work with, warning us that the younger kids were a little too much and we might get tired of them. I said I would do the younger ones and she began giving me advice about how to deal with them...I said “Bring it!”
As we pulled onto the dirt road that lead back to the orphanage/school, my heart thudded. These beautiful black faces with pearly, shinny teeth glowed at me and chased the car. I wonder what kind of things they were thinking. I could tell that they were excited to see us, not only by the smiles on their faces but also the way the jumped and clamored for me when I got out of the car. Within second I was already feeling at home and being tugged on to pick up toddlers that crowded at my feet...That is when I saw him...






Love at first sight! I felt a pull on my pants and when I looked down this happy little chubby face with teeth to large to be baby teeth was holding a bowl of porridge of some sort and offering me some in his dripping, sticky, bare hand. I wanted him that very second... I could see me taking him in the car as he waves goodbye to all his friends ( much like the scene in any when Mrs. Farroll whisk Annie away in the limousine), loading him onto the airplane, waving goodbye to Africa and Hello to America...I will stop here and tell you that did not happen and I knew it would not happen so I forced it out of my mind that second. The African government and adoption process is horrible. So many children with no home there and so many homes with no children here. It would be the perfect solution to two heartbreaking problems. Sadly enough, that is not how the African governments see it. So good for you Madonna and Angelina for cutting through the red tape. I could care less if you are famous or not. The fact that someone gets a kid out and gives them a chance to be healthy, educated and most of loved is huge. The media should butt out.
Kathy takes me to room that has a locked door (one of only rooms that even has a door). She gives me a stack of books and some instructions and we are off to the second grade class. Sh leads me to the cement room which is to become my classroom. She introduces me to the teacher sitting in the corner and tells him I am here to help today. He says thank you, shakes my hand a disappears never to be seen again. “ Well, they are all yours. Have fun.” She walks away from me on the little covered porch and I see something peek around the corner. A very familiar set of brown eyes over two very chubby checks. My cute little boy makes a b line for me when Kathy has cleared the area. “You want to stay with me?” He nods a big “Yes.” “Well, All-righty then” I say as I take his hand. And Peter Pan found her shadow.
Three things I am not worried about. First of all, It just lice. Whats the big deal. I can buy a shampoo for those little critters anyway. Second, Its just little pee. Like my kids never peed on me before (or my brothers kids...Zack , you knucklehead). Besides whats a little pee compared to the only affection these kids might get. Thirdly, and most importantly, happiness is infectious and it burst out of these kids at an alarming rate so you have no time to even be sad or think sad...until it’s time to leave (but we will get to that part in due time).
So I begin by finding my little man a seat. The kids know him so they don't mind him squeezing in the middle. I say, "Good morning class,” because Kathy told me to say that. “Good morning mademoiselle,” sounds the unison chorus, “How are you today?” Kathy did not tell me about this and I giggle a little at the cuteness of it all. “I am fine thank you.” I reply, “How are you?” “very well. Thank you for coming to our school today.” SO CUTE!
I am defiantly having an out of body experience as it all begins to sink in that I am teaching second grade in the dirt in Africa. Me, this simple, silly girl. Will someone explain to me how I got here?

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment