Thursday, June 18, 2009

It is "snowing" in Africa (April 9th, 2009)



Even getting on the plane it did not seem real. “Am I going to Africa? Me, I’ve never really been anywhere out of the U.S. and now I am going to Africa?”

We landed in New York and caught our 2nd flight to Accra. Sitting in the terminal I caught a glimpse of what it was going to be like being the minority. The pane would obviously be full but all these Africans at the airport didn’t make it seem real to me. Perhaps because most of them were still in their American street cloths. Because of the time change and the 19 hours of flying, Rusty (my father in law) gave me an ambein and told me to go to sleep after the dinner service. Easy for him to say. I did not realize how motion sick I would really get. I did sleep but I remember bits and pieces of the flight. I remember telling Ryan I needed to throw up and grabbing the bag. I remember deciding I didn’t need to and trying to put it back but my shaking hands would get it in the pocket. I remember waking up again and grabbing the bag once more. Waking up and seeing it folded nicely on my table...definitely used but I had no recollection of actually using it or folding it up. At one point I got up to throw it away and as I waked to the bathroom I knew stomach was not finished. I got to the bathroom and remember looking the door fast and spinning around to worship the porcelain god ( actually airplanes have metal ones) But nothing after that. The whole flight was like an outer body experience. Finally,Morning came and Africa was spotted. Getting out of the plane is when it hit me. Because all those African Dressed in American clothes were gone and replaced with African in African clothes. Sometime during the flight they had changed their clothes. We got out of the plane, my passport was stamped ( Hooray) and our adventure was underway... After a little nap of coarse.

This is my In Laws house. If you have

been feeling bad for them for 4 years

you can stop now.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your rough flight. It must seem so surreal. Anxiously awaiting more posts :)

    ReplyDelete