Saturday, February 6, 2010

Slave Castle

This is the courtyard of the slave castle. Up the stairs were the officer rooms and offices. You can see "The Door Of No Return" down the corridor. I don't think I have ever felt so white in my life.
Those are cannon balls stacked up...However due to heat and humidity they have all molted and rusted together. No use now...that's okay the sea water ruined the cannons so nothing to shoot the balls with. You can see the door to the Male Slave dungeon off to the left.

Such a pretty view from up here but ironic that such horrible things took place behind these walls. I read a couple books about the slave castle when I got back. Apparently the cannons and ammunition were always not working and so they relied on rumors and looks alone to build the reputation that you did not want to mess with this place.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment